Why, you ask, do I call this salad simply “The Chop”? Because it is my go to chop salad anytime the ingredients are available. This salad is so versatile, we eat it raw, cooked, dressed, as a garnish, you name it. It is as beautiful as it is fresh and tasty and it contains elements that are natural diuretics for those “puffy” days. Even men have “puffy” days. Asparagus is your friend. I generally use regular green asparagus, but if you can score some of the red/purple asparagus, it is lovely!
One of the happy discoveries I made about this salad is how well it keeps in a closed container in the fridge… so make a big batch to nosh on for several days!! Rev up your cutting boards!!
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- 1 Red Pepper
- 3 unwaxed Baby Cucumbers
- 3 small Zucchinis
- 1 small Red Onion
- 3-4 Green Onions
- 4 oz. White Mushrooms (optional)
- ½ bunch Fresh Cilantro*
*You can use Italian Flat Leaf Parsley if Cilantro is not to your liking.
- Wash all your produce well and allow to drain. Remove woody ends from Asparagus (about an inch or so off the bottom of each stem).
- Quarter the unwaxed baby cucumbers in to spears and shave the seed pulp from the centers and then dice up the rest of the cucumber.
- Finely chop the red and green onions.
- Dice up the zucchini and white mushrooms and red peppers.
- Wash and process half a bunch of cilantro. Stir the finely chopped cilantro all through the chopped salad.
- Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed container