90 Second bread is a popular low carb bread recipe made in the microwave that uses eggs, butter, baking powder and almond flour. Since I am trying to keep nuts and dairy to a minimum this time around I decided to switch out the nut flour for something equally fibrous but not a nut. The answer was Psyllium Husk! I also do not need to use as much of it. In the original 90 second bread recipe you are instructed to use three tablespoons of nut flour, this recipe only needs two tablespoons of psyllium. Psyllium is a soluble fiber derived from the seeds of Plantago ovata that is able to bind to fatty acids and cholesterol from the diet; it can increase fecal moisture and weight. Which is very helpful on a low carb diet.
To get started crack 4 eggs into your mixing bowl and beat the softened butter into the eggs. Then add your salt, baking powder and psyllium and mix into a batter. Allow it to rest a couple of minutes while you lightly oil your pan. It is non-stick but why take any chances? This gives the batter time to swell. It will become a sticky thick batter now that you can scoop.
Divide the batter equally into the muffin top cups. and flatten them down some to spread them out. Bake them in a 350º oven for just 20 minutes. Pull them out to rest before you slice them or use them as sandwich buns. You can also just butter them up and use them as a roll.
Single Serving 90 second version:
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ T Butter
- pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 T Psyllium Husk
- Add melted butter to egg and whip thoroughly.
- Stir in dry goods and form a batter.
- Scoop batter into a small ramekin and spread to form a pancake.
- Microwave for 90 seconds.
- Carefully release bread from ramekin (it is super hot)
- Slice resulting muffin in half to form two slices and toast as usual. *You do not have to toast it – you can use it as a bun as is.
Multiple Serving Oven Version:
- 4 Eggs
- 4 T Butter
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- healthy pinch Salt
- 8 T Psyllium Husk
- Whip eggs together softened butter.
- Stir in dry ingredients to form a batter.
- Lightly oil a non-stick muffin top pan.
- Scoop balls of batter onto pan, divide the batter equally among the cups until it is all used.
- Smooth each one out to more or less fill the muffin top cup.
- Bake at 350º for 20 minutes.
- These do not rise as much this way as they do in the microwave, you can slice them in half to make sandwich thins or just use two, one for the top and one for the bottom.
- Each muffin is about