Looking for a fantastic but simple vegetable side dish? Look no further, these dilled carrots almondine are fantastic. Sauteed in grass-fed butter and seasoned with fresh dill and sliced almonds and just a spot of salt they are a lovely pairing for any main entree. Almondine (al-mahn-deen – not almon-dine as I said it in the video — videos make me nervous – but I will get better!) is a dish cooked with almonds. The sweetness of the fresh carrots is perfectly accented by the toasty nuttiness of the crisp almond slices which harmonizes beautifully with the fresh green dill.
Start by washing and peeling your carrots and then slice them thin and as uniformly as possible, we used a mandolin for perfectly even cuts. Mince the fresh dill and set it aside along with the measure of sliced almonds – I accidentally called them slivered almonds in the video but they are not slivered, they are sliced and add just the right amount of crispy texture and nutty flavor. You can use slivered almonds if you wish but they are thicker and will not toast up the same as sliced almonds. If you do not have or cannot find fresh dill, use a tablespoon of dried dill, but fresh is usually best.
Pre-heat you large saute pan. Melt the butter in the pan and allow it to bubble and brown slightly. Brown Butter is what makes these carrots so amazing. Make sure you do not allow the butter to burn or it will be bitter instead of gorgeously nutty. Add your perfect carrot medallions and a pinch of salt to aid the cooking process. Keep the carrots moving to allow them to cook through on all sides. Once the carrots are tender and you begin to see browning around the edges it is time to stir in the sliced almonds and allow them to toast up. This process goes pretty fast so it helps to have all of your ingredients measured out and ready to go.
After a few minutes of toasting, you can stir in the herbs and allow them to heat through to fully activate their flavors and mix them thoroughly into the carrots and almonds. Remove the carrots from the heat and serve immediately. These come together really fast and are perfect for a fresh farm to table side dish.
Check out my darling husband’s carrot tossing skills in this video!! I hope you will try this recipe for your table, it is a favorite on ours.
- 6 large Carrots, peeled and sliced
- ½ C Sliced Almonds
- 1 whole sprig of Fresh Dill, chopped
- Pinch of Pink Salt
- ¼ Stick Grass fed Butter
- Peel your carrots and slice them thin and as uniformly as you can.
- Mince up your fresh dill and set it aside and measure off the sliced almonds as well – it all goes pretty fast once the carrots are cooked.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan and allow it to brown a bit.
- Add the carrots along with a pinch of salt. Stir or toss the carrots around to allow them to cook on all sides.
- Once you get some browning around the edges of the carrots and they are tender, add the sliced almonds and allow them to toast.
- Finish the carrots with the fresh dill and mix thoroughly and serve immediately.