I have a new favorite take on an old favorite! My grandma Roxie Mulinex taught me to LOVE tomato & butter sandwiches on white bread from early days and I passed this little gem onto my child. But now I have determined that white bread is the devil (along with Walmart, Credit cards and a few other sundry things). So for summer lunches can look like this: 3 thin slices of artisan pumpernickel toast glazed with garlic & herb mayo and a slice of farmer’s market fresh beef eater tomatoes sprinkled with a dash of lemon pepper. Yummy!
We buy our bread from the in-store bakery to avoid all the preservatives and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (which is ALSO the devil.) The folks behind the bakery counter are more than happy to slice it thin for us too – it is lovely.
- 1 Lg Beef Eater Tomato, sliced
- 6 slices dark Pumpernickel bread
- 2-3 T Mayonnaise
- 1 clove Garlic, finely minced
- 2-3 leaves Basil, finely minced
- 1-2 leaves Mint, finely minced
- Salt & Pepper or lemon pepper to taste
- Stir the minced garlic and herbs into the mayo.
- Toast the bread
- Spread each piece of toast with seasoned mayo
- Layer a slice of tomato on each toast and season with salt & pepper to taste
I enjoy these as a meal all by themselves, but they also pair rather nicely with a weekend brunch! (This brunch includes meat)