Pimento cheese spread on pumpernickel bread is one of my guilty pleasures harkening back to my childhood. My mom made pimento spread sammies for us using commercially packaged spread from the IGA store and I LOVED it! But in the last several years it seems like recipes are changing and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is being used in everything. So I gave up my pimento cheese for a time. That was a failed effort. So, I decided I would try to make it myself, after a few experiments and tweaks I came up with this recipe. I am here to tell you, I will never buy store-bought pimento cheese salad again! Scratch made Pimento Cheese spread is out if this world good!
- 8 oz of Neufchâtel cheese
- 3 oz mild cheddar
- 3 oz. sharp white cheddar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ a roasted red sweet pepper
- 1 tsp diced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1½ to 2 T of mayonnaise (we use Kraft Mayonnaise with Olive Oil)
- 1 T pimento stuffed salad olives
- Put all ingredients into your processor and process until almost smooth (I like it a little chunky).
- Scoop it into a covered container and it keeps nicely in the fridge.
Serving suggestion: Spread generously on fresh dark pumpernickel bread or on celery sticks. Mmmm!