One of the hardest things about starting a low carbohydrate diet is well, giving up the carbs like bread and pasta. So as I am embarking on the low carb leg of my weight loss journey I did some digging and found several recipes for low carb breads. I do not own a hand mixer (yet) which is an absolute shame I know. So whipping egg whites for cloud bread is out. Then I saw recipes for coconut flour and almond flour in my Pinterest search and this appealed to me, after all I have both of those in my pantry already. But I wanted more simplification, so I went with Eddy Bowen’s recipe and made some small changes. These biscuits or muffins, they seemed more like savory muffins, really turned out fantastic and eating just one was a bigger challenge than I thought it would be! Think fluffy, lighter corn muffin to get the idea of the fabulous texture of these dainties!
The batter comes together very quickly and once mixed you can fold in the shredded cheese of your choice. Most use cheddar ala Red Lobster’s Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I used Great Value Fiesta Blend which has Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero cheeses in it. You can use any shredded cheese you like or leave the shredded cheese out entirely. The next step is to spoon equal portions into a muffin tin, I used a twelve cup silicone muffin pan lightly oiled with Coconut Cooking spray to make popping the finished muffins out of the pan a breeze. You can also just spoon these onto a parchment lined baking sheet but they will spread and become flatter. The sides of the muffin tin force the batter to form a biscuit instead of a biscuit-like cookie. Eddy Bowen uses a brownie pan to make nine perfect squares that can be sliced and used for breakfast sandwiches. So you see, you have options on what you use to bake them. I have notions of using a small loaf pan the next time myself.
- 1 ½ C Almond Flour
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced fine
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 C Neufchâtel Cheese
- 3 T Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 C Shredded Cheese (I used GV Fiesta Blend)
- Coconut Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- Place your dry ingredients in a bowl and mix them up with a fork, mashing any clumps.
- Either on the stove top or in the microwave, melt your butter and Neufchâtel cream cheese and allow to cool slightly before adding the eggs.
- Make a slurry of the butter, cream cheese and the eggs with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and use a spatula to form a batter.
- Once the batter is blended, fold in the shredded cheese.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups spritzed with coconut cooking spray so they pop our smoothly. This recipe makes 12.
- Bake at 400º for 12-14 minutes (10-12 if you live in a higher elevation) until golden brown on the tops.
- Allow them to cool a bit before serving. Store leftovers in a paper towel lined air tight container in the fridge or freezer, reheat in the oven to serve.