Ice cream bread!!! It’s real! I thought it was just a lark but then I thought why not try it. The basic concept is two ingredients; ice cream plus self-rising flour. From there the possibilities are infinite. Chocolate chips, white chocolate and cranberries, nuts, peanut butter, other dried fruit and candies… see! Infinite possibilities! The basic ingredients in ice cream is eggs, milk, a little salt and sugar. These are things you generally add to a snack bread batter, so this concept of just the two ingredients is easy baking genius!
So for my inaugural ice cream bread launch, I used two cups softened Blue Bunny peanut butter cup ice cream stirred into one and a half cups Self-Rising flour to which I added a spoonful of crunchy natural peanut butter and a hand full of chopped pecans for extra nuttiness. Because let’s face it, we could all use a little extra nuttiness in our lives. Baked at 350º for 40 minutes instead of 45 like the directions say, I think it would vary based on altitude and ovens, and VIOLA! Deliciousness!
So the verdict is, ice cream bread is an excellent easy bread recipe for snacking, holidays and taking to other gatherings.
- 2 C Softened Ice Cream (your choice of flavors)
- 1½ C Self Rising Flour
- Optional: Anything you want to add, chocolate chips, fruit, nuts, candies, syrups, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Measure out 1½ cups self-rising flour into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in 2 cups of your favorite ice cream
- Stir in any optional extras if desired. (nuts, etc.)
- Grease a bread pan with your oil of choice
- Pour batter into bread pan and bake for 40-45 minutes
- Allow loaf to cool before you de-pan it, slice, serve and…