I am a green bean lover. I love them fixed in just about every way. My recent farm bag had two nice bunches of fresh locally sourced green beans in it, as soon as I saw them I knew exactly what to do! One Green Bean salad coming up! It is easy to do and always elegant no matter what entree you serve it beside. It’s also a great salad to take with you to get togethers and reunions. It keeps well, as there is no dairy or eggs in it at all. The whole salad is just three ingredients plus salt and pepper. That’s it!
The first step is to blanch your beans, meaning you will partially cook them and then plunge them into an ice water bath or rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. After washing and trimming your green beans put some salted water on to boil. I like to throw a little vegetable stock or broth in the water for extra flavor too. Once the water or broth is boiling drop your green beans in for four to six minutes, I went with four as I like them extra crunchy. After I strained the beans into a colander I rinsed them well under a faucet of cold water. Blanching the really brings up the bright green color. The beans are tender and still have a nice crunch.
Wash your tomatoes up and slice them in half. I used about half of a clam shell’s worth of tomatoes, but more never hurts. You can use other kinds of tomatoes, like cherry or even larger Roma tomatoes. When I use Roma tomatoes, I seed them first and cut them into strips. You might even consider mixing it up with some different colors like yellow, red and purple tomatoes.
All that is left to do is toss the tomatoes and beans together with some Italian Dressing (NOT the creamy kind) or your favorite vinaigrette. My favorite right now is a Champagne Vinaigrette, I use a tablespoon or so just drizzling it on and tossing it all together to thoroughly coat everything. Season to taste with sea salt and some fresh cracked black pepper. You can serve this right away or store it in the fridge for a bit. It keeps well overnight and is great for outdoor events. This salad is just so pretty with it’s bright green and red, and it tastes as good as it looks!
- 2 pints Green Beans, washed and trimmed
- ½ Clam shell of Grape Tomatoes, halved
- Italian Salad Dressing or other Vinaigrette
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Wash and trim green beans leaving them as long as possible.
- Boil salted water or vegetable broth.
- Drop beans into boiling water for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Strain into a colander and rinse well under cold water.
- Slice grape tomatoes in half and toss with green beans.
- Drizzle vinaigrette salad dressing over beans and tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or chill for later.