Anyway, after my jumbo eggplant was trimmed up I loaded the halves with stuffing. Once stuffed they were popped into a 400º oven for 45-50 minutes. Allow it to rest before serving. I got 4 servings by slicing each half in half crosswise. I made pasta in a vodka cream sauce as a side dish with these stuffed beauties. As it turned out, I made more stuffing than my eggplants could hold so I put the extra stuffing into muffin tins to bake separately for about 25 minutes of the bake time.
This was a VERY successful venture, sort of a twist on eggplant parmigiana. It is a lovely Vegetarian offering great for any meatless dinner, but it could easily be converted to a Vegan dish if you replace the butter and cheese with vegan options like Earth Balance and Nutritional Yeast. The stuffing had a very “meaty” quality and was very satisfying and delicious. My extra muffins were cooled and stored in the fridge for lunches and such!
- 1 Red Onion, shredded
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- ½ Green Pepper, diced fine
- ½ Cubanelle Pepper, diced fine (this is optional based on availability — use a whole bell pepper if no cubanelles are available)
- 1 C Sweet Corn
- 1 can No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes, drained with liquid reserved
- 2 C Heavy Grain Brown Bread chopped into bread crumbs
- 2 T Gluten Free flour (regular would be okay)
- ½ C Parmesan Cheese plus more for garnishing.
- Black Pepper
- Roasted Garlic Powder
- Sicilian Dried Herbs (Basil, oregano, sage, thyme, red pepper flake)
- 2 Sprigs fresh Spicy Oregano
- 2 Sprigs Cinnamon Basil
- 1 can Vegetable Broth, warmed
- 1 T Unsalted Butter or Earth Balance
- Optional: 4 oz. Mushrooms, minced
- Assemble ingredients and preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Shred the carrots and onion in a processor.
- Add bread crumbs, butter, flour, Parmesan, seasonings and herbs and warm broth to the processor bowl and blend,
- Remove blades and stir in corn, peppers, drained diced tomatoes (reserve that liquid).
- Wash and slice eggplant in half length wise. Scoop out a portion of the center. ( I saved this for Babganoush but you can also mash it into your stuffing.)
- Load each eggplant half with stuffing and top with spoonfuls of the tomato liquid from the diced tomatoes.
- Put extra stuffing in lightly greased muffin tin and bake in the oven for the last 25 minutes of the roasting time for the eggplants
- Roast the stuffed eggplants for 40-50 minutes depending on your oven and allow them to rest before serving. Garnish with shredded Parmesan.