Looking for a quick and tasty breakfast? Look no further! These chipotle egg salad burritos are just the ticket! With just four ingredients (five if you are just now making the mayo) it is super easy to pull these together. We buy our uncooked tortillas at Costco, if you have never tried the Tortilla Land uncooked tortillas you are in for a real treat! I also discovered for myself these wonderful zesty garlic chips with red peppers and pickled carrots called Farmers Garden by Vlasic at the market that are terrific on their own, as a side and especially as an ingredient in egg salad!
To get started, boil yourself some large eggs. I did three, but you could do more or less, try to think in terms of one egg per burrito you intend to make. Allow them to cool, but just enough so you can peel them, this is actually great as a warm egg salad. Cook up the number of tortillas you will need… I did this while the eggs were cooling. Slice the peeled eggs and mash them up in a bowl. Finely dice some pickles, peppers and carrots and toss them in with the eggs. I keep chipotle mayo made up in my fridge, it is super easy; just mix mayonnaise with chipotle paste in a 2:1 ratio. Add more or less chipotle paste according to your preference. I use Duke’s Mayonnaise because it does not add sugar, but any brand will do as long as it is mayonnaise and not salad dressing. Stir a couple of spoonfuls of the chipotle mayonnaise into your eggs and vegetables and mix it well.
All that is left to do is assemble your burritos; place a couple spoonfuls of the salad in a row about one third of the way into the tortilla. Fold one end up to tuck in the bottom of the burrito and roll the short side of the tortilla toward the longer side to roll it closed, set it aside seam side down to continue assembling burritos. I like to garnish the plate with a few extra pickles too.
I love the mild spicy flavor and the comfort of the warm fresh tortilla and egg salad. It is creamy without being cheesy. Not that cheesy is a bad thing, for surely it isn’t. But dairy is not my friend just now, so I am looking for ways to enjoy the things I love that I formerly used cheese in, like a scrambled egg breakfast burrito with ooey gooey American cheese and a dash of fresh salsa. This Chipotle Egg Salad really did the trick! It was creamy and zesty and just right for a quick breakfast for me and my family.
- 3 Boiled Eggs, peeled
- 3 Uncooked Tortillas, prepared according to package directions
- 2 T Zesty Garlic Pickle chips with carrots and red peppers, finely diced
- 2 T (+/-) Chipotle Mayonnaise (2:1 Mayonnaise with Chipotle Paste)
- Boil eggs and allow to cool a bit and peel.
- While eggs cool, cook the tortillas according to the package directions. If you cannot find uncooked tortillas, warm up some shelf stable tortillas.
- Finely dice enough pickles, red peppers and a few carrots from the pickle jar to equate to 2 tablespoons.
- Mash the eggs in a bowl and stir in the pickled vegetables.
- Mix in 2 spoonfuls of chipotle mayonnaise (add more or less according to your preference)
- Load each burrito with a couple generous spoonfuls of egg salad and roll into burritos.
- Serve with extra zesty pickle chips.